vrijdag 9 december 2016

One Second

Translated by Esmay Maria

It's chilly and the wind feels sharp. I saunter along the market stands and smile. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt so free and haven’t carried the weight of the world on my shoulders. A dreary time lies far behind me and fades more and more. Being attentive again and not living in your own world. It’s not always easy to wish yourself happiness. Doing so may sometimes feel egotistical. Now I realise that all revolves around me. That’ssomething that isn’t in your vocabulary when you’re young. Time and patience.
In front of me two oldsters stroll along. Arm in arm with a matching pace. I see him turn his head to her in a way that shows you that this is a familiar habit to him. A little slanted as if he wants to kiss her, but he just closes his eyes, shortly, for a second. One second in which his whole life is intertwined with hers. From the first kiss secretly behind the shed, the birth of their first child, the fights and the make ups. But also sadness, loss of loved ones and loneliness when children leave their childhood home and find each other again in a new rhythm, hoping to grow old together and finding humor on the street, even if it’s on a market.
She answers his look with hand that softly caresses his back and taps him on his skinny bottom. I see him gloat over their inside jokes. Words are unnecessary here, they know each other through and through.
In life, sometimes you don’t stay together and you have to start over, alone, or maybe you’ll have a second chance. Suddenly there is the time and patience, which makes you see what’s important and you realise that you must cherish your happiness.
Life is a rollercoaster and brings you where you need to go, everything has a reason, but our weakness is that we don’t understand it all. How beautiful it would be to be as lucky with my second chance to saunter along the market like those oldsters. That one second in which he closes his eyes, is what we are filling in now. The building up of a gorgeous life with us four in a new home and all that comes with it.
The two oldsters have stopped at the window of the lingerie store and they both laugh. Yeah, that set isn’t suitable anymore for her. No G-string and thigh garters for her, but compression stockings and comfy pants. She turns around and nods towards the HEMA, “Yes honey, it’s time for a nice cuppa coffee”, I hear her say. I smile and go my own way with a lovely warm feeling.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten